See Full Profile: Ridgeway Accountant - Morris Jonas
Were you always planning to be an accountant and why?
It has always been in my blood to become an Accountant. I excelled in accounting tests and exams from high school until I attained my professional qualifications. The main reason I like accounting is that it gives me the pleasure to work with numbers that carry a lot of meaning from the business perspective. Accounting keeps my brain active in analysing and reporting my clients' business performances. I feel a sense of accomplishment in all accounting tasks that I undertake.
When meeting with clients do they mostly come to your own premises or do you mostly go their theirs?
I mostly go to my clients
What is your preferred mode of communication with your clients?
Email, Phone, Face to Face, Skype, WhatsApp
Have you ever done an online video call with a client?
What do you love most about accounting?
Accounting makes it possible for me to analyse thoroughly my clients' business portfolios and be in a better position to give financial, management or tax advice. I love accounting because it is a tool used to measure performance of any enterprise or business. Directors will be given important information they will use to make vital decisions in their businesses.
Would you recommend accounting as a career for school-leavers, and why?
I would strongly recommend accounting as a career to school leavers because this profession is in demand in South Africa and abroad. It is also a high paying profession. Accountants are always needed by companies to process financial information and give financial advice to the directors in order to make companies profitable.
What qualities should South African business people be looking for in their accountant?
An accountant plays an important role in any organisation. Therefore, it is very important for business owners to engage an accountant who possesses the following qualities:
1. Honesty and Integrity
2. Moral and ethical standards
3. Professional skills and expertise
4. Great communication skills
5. Understanding of the client's business and industry sector.
6. Ability to provide advice on cost reduction, sales growth, management structures and analytical reporting.
7. Dependable, structured and practical
8. Time management skills.
What is the biggest challenge facing accountants today?
1. The advent of new online technology that has seen the proliferation of cloud based accounting software. As accountant, we need to advise our clients as to the proper system to use and avoid mistakes in the operation and management of these systems.
2. Attracting and developing new clients. This is a challenge faces many upcoming accountants.
3. Dealing with client demands and expectation. Qualified accountants are expected to discuss with the client and understand the needs of the client and the client's business before accepting to offer our services. This will sort out any differences in expectation that may arise in future.
What aspects of accounting do you focus on most?
1. Recording of financial information.
2. Classification of financial information and data
3. Summarising all recorded financial data
4.Interpreting and analysing the summarised financial data.
Describe your average client:
My average client is one who has basic financial knowledge that he/she applies in the business. Once given the right information, an average client does not take long to understand the financial implications of his/her decisions.
How far away from your premises is your furthest client?
My furthest client is 1100km away - in Cape Town. Due to the advent in technology, we are able to exchange information, documents and ideas. We work as if we are in the same premises. I love it.
From your accounting experience, if you could cite one of the biggest reasons SME's in SA fail, what would it be?
1 They do not keep proper accounting records.
2. No budgets are created resulting in poor financial management.
3. There is no distinction between personal expenses and business expenses. The business bank account is managed like a personal bank account. This makes it impossible to map out the success of the company.
4. Engagement of accountants who do not provide the business owner with vital financial information to grow the company.
5. Poor tax planning.
What accounting software do you like best?
I like Pastel Partner/Evolution and SAP accounting software.
What other software, online services or apps do you use?
I also use sage One Accounting, Quickbooks
Do you think the coming wave of automation in the next few years will steal some accounting jobs and why/why not?
Yes, I do agree that in the next few years, automation will steal a number of accounting jobs because some of the work will be done by the machines. Accounting firms will require fewer people to manage and operate these accounting systems. Nevertheless, human intervention will always be needed.
What is your opinion on Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a payment system that was designed to make financial transactions between parties using bitcoin as the unit of currency. My opinion is that it is a system that is understood by very few people in the world, hence it is not used in our day to day purchases in retail stores.
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
In my spare time, I enjoy watching soccer or other sporting disciplines like cricket, rugby, etc. I always go out with my family to do outdoor activities, visiting places that we do not know.
What is the most interesting thing on your bucket list?
I would like to grow my accounting practice - Olympus Business Services - by being responsive to the needs of all my client. I know I have the accounting and tax skills that are needed to provide professional work to my clients. I would also like to develop my client base as it is the corner stone of the company's development.
What has your experience been on FindanAccountant?
Being on Findanaccountant has been a phenomenal experience for me and my practice. Most of the clients I have right now came to me through Findanaccountant. I am most grateful about your services and how you come up with creative ideas to help accountants get clients. Thank you.